Saturday 13 July 2013

The bedroom

  
Stripping wallpaper in the bedroom


Marble
Perhaps since it is one of the easiest rooms, we are now focusing in the bedroom. It was wallpapered, and the pine floorboards are painted light grey. We have stripped the wallpaper off, and Pim has started laying the pipes for the central heating. The single radiator will be placed inside the fireplace.


Our current bedroom is painted a deep lipstick red. I've always wanted a red bedroom, but after several years of it I am perhaps ready to move on. Our closet and night tables are lacquered white, and our bed is black lacquered steel tubing. The red does go very well with them. It would however not work all that well with our fireplace marble (left), I think.

Greys it probably is. Warm grey, since it is a North-North-West oriented room, and we like a bedroom painted in a warm colour.

I am also considering painting a landscape mural on the wall behind the bed. A couple of Pinterest inspiration images here and here.


Some paint samples

Many years ago, I studied decorative mural painting during a summer. I loved it and have only been able to use the skill once, when I painted an oil trompe l'oeil window on a wall in my parent's apartment in Barcelona.

I sure would like to use it again in my own house! I am thinking of a misty mountain landscape in the same monochrome tones of the walls, or a very limited palette.

For the floor, we will very likely sand them, then tint them a deep oak tone, and probably oil them, or perhaps varnish them (I prefer oil, and there are parket oils available). The windows will be oak toned, and we have two oak pieces of antique furniture (a vanity and a full length mirror with side tables attached) which will go in the room as well, so it seems like a good idea. For the plinths, and probably a molding where the ceiling meets wall, we think of white lacquer. I like how a white molding separates a ceiling painted a slightly lighter colour from the wall.

Oops
Some of the mantelpiece bricks fell off while making a hole for the heating pipes, but nothing that can't be easily fixed. The pipes along the wall will be hidden by the isolation panels we have to install on this and all extant walls of the house. Useful to hide pipes and cables.