Tuesday 17 September 2013

New furniture - mostly a rant of a post, it happens now and then

I am ready to inflict dreadfullest pictures upon the world, once again! (You can as well skip all this and wait for some better shots I plan to take this weekend).

  


How beautiful is that? some bits brought to the house today
Excuse the quality of most of the pictures I have posted so far, taken with my phone. Most of the time I am around the house I don't bring the big guns. It will happen, eventually, promise. What is posted so far, and still will for a long while I guess, is mostly progress pictures of rubbly rooms that wouldn't benefit all that much from a quality camera, I'm afraid.

Anyway...

This last weekend I went flea-shop-hunting with my flatmate Aïda, looking for a simple chandelier for a DIY project. I did not find a suitable one, but, of course, you guess it? I found something else. Some amazingly beautiful oak, marble, mirror and glass furniture, of a relatively sober Art Déco influenced style that was very popular in this region. 20's to 30's. And for a good price (an apparent lack of interest in Belgium makes for cheaper prices than I'm used to). I snapped a few dreadful pictures (first two pics) with my phone (it performs in a  particularly dismal way in a dark environment), talked Pim into buying it (no small feat, to convince Pim in favour of yet more old furniture that we don't strictly need), and today he and Aïda (I work far away and would never get there in time) went to buy it and bring some pieces to the house (the rest will be coming in further installments).

Exquisite fluted details


Carving, the glass doors are beveled 
In the shop there's a whole dining room: chairs, table, console and vitrine. I know it is sad to separate furniture siblings, but it is sold separately, and we are not getting the table and chairs. They are rather uneventful compared to the rest, I honestly prefer the table and chairs we currently have, and I would place one and the other bit on opposite sides of the house anyway. So only console and vitrine it is. We will place them in the street side, ground floor room. Which needs to be named. Parlor? Sitting room? Living room 1? Living room 3? Front living? Really Cool Green Room? I don't know.

From day 1 this room will have Nice Furniture, except for an Ikea bookshelf which will be eventually replaced, and some day it will have a gas fire stove built into the Déco-ish marble mantlepiece. I think it will be my favourite room. I shall keep my knitting basket and many ferns there. Knitting room? I like that ;)



Hi! that's me

The bathroom (a bedroom originally) furniture we got a while ago is of the same style, if slightly less refined in my opinion. I have posted some (bad) pics before, but I am always ready for more, I hope you are as well. This is the closet for the bathroom: